Κυριακή 3 Μαρτίου 2013

Erica Schoenberg Interview

by Aaron Angerman

Erica SchoenbergErica Schoenberg seemed destined to make a career out of gambling. The first piece of evidence: her parents first met at the Santa Anita racetrack in California. In 1978, the couple would add another gambling partner, Erica, to their Akron, OH, home. Later, the family would return to California. There Erica spent her days gambling with the family. On most days, the Schoenberg clan could be found playing rummy for chores, bridge for money or hanging out at the racetrack.

Erica excelled in school. Eventually, she made her way east to the College of Charleston, in Charleston, SC. After studying theater and dance, Erica decided that maybe she'd try acting. It only took a couple of years in Los Angeles to convince Erica that it wasn't the life for her. After dabbling in a handful of interesting professions, including working as a model, personal trainer, professional beach volleyball player and professional blackjack player.

The former model, turned personal trainer, turned beach volleyball player, turned "Blackjack Babe" now has more than $650,000 in live poker tournament winnings. She is also a Full Tilt Poker sponsored player. Just hours removed from a return flight from the East Coast, Erica is cooking a pot of chili and waiting for her hairdresser to show up. Thankfully, she had enough time to answer a few of my questions.

AA - Thanks for squeezing me in. How's the chili coming?

ES - Not too bad. I wouldn't call myself a chef, but I like to make some down-home stuff from time to time. The first time I gave this chili a shot, it came out as some sort of chili-brick thing. I've gotten better since then. David loves my chili.

AA - What were you up to on the East Coast? Playing poker, or taking a break from the felt?

ES - Actually, I was at the College of Charleston, just hanging out with some old friends. All we did was drink, sleep and eat. I'm pretty sure I put on a few pounds after all the time at the beer pong tables. It was a lot of fun, but it's a weird feeling, being the oldest person at the party.
AA - You have been quoted saying you attribute your success at the tables to your gambling childhood. How was it growing up in the gambling Schoenberg household?

ES - My childhood was cool. I grew up in the sticks. We only had three stoplights and maybe three cops. If you wanted McDonalds or Subway, you'd have to move on to the next town. We made our own fun, and that usually meant gambling. Gambling seems to be in my parent's ancestry, or just in their blood. My dad more than my mom. My dad is a hardcore gambler.
AA - So how did you end up in poker?

ES - First, it was blackjack. Some early blackjack success landed me on a blackjack team. All of a sudden, GSN asked me to play poker show. David Williams was there, as was Michael "the Grinder" Mizrachi. I remember that I was a little full of myself at that point. Needless to say, I got totally pwned. It was easily one of the worst poker performances ever. From that point on, I made it my personal mission; I was going to get better at poker. Pretty soon, the blackjack team disbanded and I started playing online poker. Not long after I began playing online, I won my PokerStars Caribbean Adventure seat in a satellite. I was really happy to make my first $10K tourney. Didn't do anything there, but a short time later, I took 16th at the WPT Championship. The rest is history.

AA - Are you still playing blackjack?
Erica SchoenbergES - No, not really. They won't let you count cards anywhere. The last thing I want to do is get into trouble and lose my Bellagio privileges.
AA - Speaking of the Bellagio, what'd you do with all the WPT winnings?

ES - I might have used some of it to buy my dream car, a Mercedes SL convertible. David made me sell it, because he thought I'd kill myself. For the first time, I could afford it, so I just went out and bought it. I had it for a year and absolutely loved it. I drive a Range Rover now. Very soccer mom-ish. I think it looks a little too Stepford; me driving out of my gated community in a Range Rover. I'll definitely get another SL convertible when I get the chance.
AA - Are you a crazy driver, or was he just being overprotective?

ES - Oh, I'm a pretty crazy driver. Surprisingly, I'm not a patient person. That strikes some people as odd, because I'm a very patient person at the poker table.

AA - You have followed up a big 2006 and 2007 with just a few small cashes in 2008. In your mind, and in your home, does David's big 2008 make up for a somewhat quiet year on your part?

ES - Yes and no. It's hard to talk poker with David, sometimes. You know his limits. He's playing the biggest online games in the world. For example, he'll be playing for millions in the office, in the other room I'm playing a tournament for $50,000 on my computer. I'll try to get some sympathy from him after a bad beat, but then he'll ask, "How much do you get for first?" I tell him $50,000 and sometimes he just laughs it off. That might be nothing compared to his stakes, but it's still a big tourney for me.

What does happen is David's success helps me by proxy. When he's playing well, not only does it motivate me, but I can talk to him about hands. I love hearing what he thinks about my play. He's a genius. It only helps me up my game.

In the end, I'm just so proud of him. David is the best player in the world, and I'm not just because he's my boyfriend. He's amazing.

AA - In that case, could you live with busting out in every Day 1 if it meant David would be at the final table? If so, do you think he'd do the same?

ES - Interesting. I might be down for letting him have it every other time. Sometimes, being a poker couple can be tricky and annoying. Poker players are mostly ego driven. I would have to say that I would be much more apt to say "I wish that he'd have the success, rather than me." For me, success isn't measured by money.

AA - Do you ever get tired of the 'poker couple' stuff?

ES - Being engaged to a poker player doesn't bother him much, but it bothers me sometimes. Normal significant others leave home for work. When they come home, they talk about your how their very different days went. Not that I don't love talking to him, I just get a little tired hearing about poker, especially after spending all day at the table.

AA - You sound like somebody who likes to get away from the poker room.

ES - I really do. The vacation was nice. I needed a break. The whole poker thing, I'm just not into it right now. This is a new feeling for me. For the past three years, I would eat, sleep and dream poker.

Erica SchoenbergAA - What are you doing when you're not taking people's money?

ES - I have two dogs, Jerry and Mooney. When I am not playing, I try to spend time with them. I also love playing golf. When I was out east, I was able to get some rounds in with my dad. I think I hit the ball really well. I'd love to play more, but Las Vegas is just too damn hot.

AA - Any places you like to go to get away from the heat?

ES - When I have to get out, I escape to my place on the beach in LA. Although, David and I have been talking about finding a home in Europe. Maybe the south of France. The move would be kind of hard for me. I love Europe, but get tired of Euro attitude. Maybe I'm just too much of an American girl at heart. It seems like I'm always pining to come home.

AA - What's your upcoming schedule look like?


ES - It's off to Europe. We'll be hitting up the Cannes tourney, then WPT Barcelona and the WSOP London. Probably do a little house shopping while we're there.

AA - Any goals for the rest of 2008?

ES - I try to not be results oriented. I used to be, but doing so only sets you up to fail. I don't want to be bummed all the time. I think of it like golf. I just want to play my best, bogey, double bogey or whatever. I'll be content with a few good shots. I'm happy I'm extremely grateful that this is what I do for a living. I could be doing a lot worse things.

AA - Are you going to do anything different in next year's WSOP?

ES - Well, I mostly play no limit. I'm going to play more events next year. No limit best game, but maybe I'll venture out into the mixed games a little more. I'd like to not be just a NLHE player, but I feel most comfortable in them. I have seen my best results in NLHE. I think every good player is a better bet in NLHE, mainly because of the weaker fields.

AA - Will you ever drop $50K and enter the HORSE event?

ES - Eventually, yeah, I can see myself playing the HORSE event. I'm would like to tighten my Stud game a little more first. I'm a weak stud player. I hate stud. Don't enjoy it, at all. At this point, there is no way I would spend $50K on tourney. With that money I could buy another Mercedes SL.

AA - Just watch out, you might get berated by intoxicated final tablers, like Scotty Nguyen.

ES - You know, I don't really know him well, but for years, he's rolled around tournaments in wife beater shirts, a mullet and white jeans. He got away with it for a while, but now, people might see him as a jerk. His HORSE final table performance was definitely not cool, especially with poker trying to gain exposure and a clean reputation.

AA - Are you ok with drinking at the table?

ES - I'm fine with drinking at the table, but only if you can hold your liquor. Personally, I never drink at table.

AA - Some people commented that the WSOP needs to do a better job enforcing rules. What do you think?

ES - I think the WSOP did a crappy job enforcing rules this last year. I had a problem in main event, one I wrote about in one of my blogs. I was forced to share the table with a very dense lady, who was slowing the game so much. She would get up out of her seat in the middle of a hand. If you're not seated as the last card is dealt, your hand is supposed to be dead. This lady was on the rail, talking with her friends as the last card was dealt. This kid dealer from Palm Springs just let her play it, as did the floor. Stuff like that should be cleaned up. It's about time we have standardized poker rules, ones that everyone uses.

When it all comes down to it, poker is poker. It's gambling. Professional poker players are a tawdry group. I don't think they'll be enforcing any of these rules anytime soon.
Erica SchoenbergAA - Enough with the negative WSOP stuff. Are you pumped up for the Main Event final table and the "November Nine"?
ES - Actually, I think it is kind of a bummer final table. Sorry. I think it would have been a lot cooler if Tiffany Michelle had made it. I'm good friends with her boyfriend, Hollywood Dave [Stann]. We're both Ohio kids and go back to our blackjack days. We're reppin' the "O-H". I think it would have definitely helped the final table, seeing how she's a lady. I'll always root for a woman to make the final table.

AA - Do you think you'll see a lady win the Main Event in your lifetime?

ES - That'd be awesome. I'll just be optimistic and say yes.

AA - Maybe you'll have to do it. How long do you plan on playing?

ES - I think I'll always play for fun. Don't get me wrong, I love it. No matter what, I think I'll always want to play. My ultimate goal is to have a family. I'm not getting any younger. One day, I would like to have kids.

AA - Are you going to let your kids play poker? There's a pretty good shot they'll have poker in the blood.

ES - I'll let my kids play, but only if they take it seriously. That means no getting hammered. No skipping school. What I really want is for them is to go to college and have the experiences that I did.

… Erica didn't clarify if the experiences she's referring to includes beer pong.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου